St Stephen's Church
Lansdown Road , Bath , BA2 5SXMENU
St Stephen’s church is an example of Victorian gothic revival architecture, but although the foundation stone of the church was laid in 1840 the church building developed in a number of phases. It is grade II* listed and was built by the well-known local Bath architect, James Wilson.
The design of St Stephen's decorative and distinctive tower was inspired and influenced by the magnificent cathedrals of Europe. It was constructed in three stages, it has a square base, an octagonal tower and is topped by impressive freestanding corner pinnacles that are attached by traceried flying buttresses.
St Stephen’s Church is situated on the fork of Lansdown Road and Richmond Road on the northern slopes of Bath. Access to the St Stephen’s Church Centre (under the church) is via Lansdown Road. Post Code is BA1 5SX
Walking: It takes about 15 minutes to walk (good for the legs and lungs) up the main route. There are more scenic meandering routes taking in the Assembly Rooms, and St James’s Square and Lansdown Crescent, allow an extra ten minutes.
Bus: The church is served by the Lansdown Park and Ride, 31 which stops outside the church.
Car: There is usually space in the 4-hour parking bays around the church. There are other roads around which have no restrictions.
Cycling: It’s a good schlep up, and great fun going down. You can often see the Rector grinding his way up the hill. His motto is ‘No Heroics’. Very wise!